What Can You Do If You Can’t Afford To Bail A Loved One Out Of Jail?

What happens if you have a loved one that has been arrested and is now in jail? Their bail has been set, but neither you nor they can afford to pay the amount set by the judge. You do have a few options open to you, as long as the amount you raise is the full amount of the bail ordered by the judge. What options do you have in raising the bail to get your loved one out of jail if you don't have the funds yourself? Read on to find out.

Fund Raise Online

You can raise the funds online through a number of different fundraising websites. You can start a campaign with Kickstarter or GoFundMe and attempt to raise the funds this way. If you write a compelling reason why you need the funds and share it in as many places as possible, you may be able to raise the entire amount.

The majority of these sites do allow you to take whatever amount is raised—after they take a commission fee—so even if you don't raise the entire amount, you will still have some to put toward the bail amount.

Churches Might Help

It's possible that some local churches might be able to help you raise funds for bail for your loved one. If you are a regular at a church, ask the leaders there if there is any type of fundraising or charity that they offer to help locals in need for any reason. You can still approach a church that you know does help those in need, even if you don't attend services regularly.


You might not have the money to pay the bond in cash, but it's possible that you do have enough capital in property to pay it. It is possible to take out a second mortgage on your house, or even put your car up, if there is enough equity in either one and as long as they are worth what the bail is set at.

When you put a waiver on your home or other property, you must ensure that the defendant will appear in court at their designated time or your property could be seized or you will not get back the money you put up for your loved one. In the case of using property, it's best to be assured that you can trust that they will appear, as you could risk your home if the bail is high enough.

Bail Bonds Company

You can also opt to hire a bail bond agency to help pay for the bail owed. You will usually need to put up at least a portion of what is owed or to ensure that your loved one will appear in court. If they fail to appear, you will be required to pay back the bond company what they put up in bail, usually with interest.